Thursday, November 1, 2007

Notes on tools

For the time being, I'm writing everything in Buzzword, an online word processor written with Adobe's Flex framework. This is in part because I've turned into something of a Flex nut but also because I like the way it lays text out more like a word processor would than docs.google does.

That said, Buzzword is missing a few key features. For one thing, it's a pain in the ass to share. In fact, near impossible unless you can email another Buzzword user. By comparison, docs.google allows you to publish a URL with a click and anyone can read it. Also, Buzzword has no word count tool and the spell checker is clunky at best.

Right now, actually, one of the reasons I'm sticking with Buzzword is that it organizes what you write into pages, which is somewhat helpful in trying to pace yourself for NaNo. I'm still a huge Flex fan, but Buzzword certainly needs some work.

2 comments:

Tad Staley said...

Hey there from Virtual Ubiquity, makers of Buzzword.

For what it's worth, we're cranking away on several new features for Buzzword, and we'll be updating the app frequently. We'll add word count within the next few weeks. We're also working on exposing documents via public URL.

Good luck with the novel - NANOWRIMO is cool!

Josh said...

Hey tad - thanks an insane amount for the note. That's all excellent news and I'll look forward to seeing new features roll out. I started playing with Buzzword at MAX in Chicago and knew I'd at least try to use it for NaNo then.